A destination dedicated to providing news, reviews, fan art, and comments about cartoons and horror movies from the '80s and '90s.

Monday, March 22, 2010

Coming Soon - Various Cartoon DVDs

I've been meaning to post this for a while now. A bunch of new 80's cartoons are coming to DVD and were recently announced. Here's some of them...

The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo (1985)
The Complete Series DVD
Release Date: June 29th
Warner Home Entertainment is releasing the DVD June 29th and it includes all 13 episodes on 2 discs (286 min). Vincent Price is featured in this series as "Vincent Van Ghoul" - which is a caricature of himself.  I never saw the series, but it looks pretty cool. The only bonus feature seams to be a bonus episode of Shaggy & Scooby Get a Clue.

G.I. Joe The Movie Special Edition (1987)
Blu-ray & DVD
Release Date: July 27th
I'm very excited about this release. It will be interesting to see how this looks on Blu-ray. Shout! Factory is releasing the Special Edition on Blu-ray and DVD on July 27th. Special Features still haven't been announced, but knowing Shout! I'm sure they will be great. I'm glad they stuck to the original cover artwork.

Defenders of the Earth (1986)
The Complete Series
Release Date: May 18th
Mill Creek Entertainment is releasing the complete series DVD set on May 18th. All 65 episodes will be spread across 5 double-sided discs. I have to admit, I never saw this show as a kid, but it has a cast of characters that are very familiar looking - ie. The Phantom & Flash Gordon. I love the cover artwork for this one! Here's a short synopsis: 

Tyrant Ming the Merciless and his vast army of evil accomplices are working overtime to eliminate the human race. But the Defenders of Earth led by legendary crime-fighters The Phantom, Flash Gordon, Mandrake and his trusted confidant and bodyguard Lothar join forces with their uniquely talented teenage children to challenge Ming and his evil followers in a series of great adventures. Both sides employ powerful computers and space age technology in their arsenals of weapons. They are our last best hope. For a frightened but determined planet they are the Defenders of the Earth.

1 comment:

  1. Good bog. I had some Defenders of the Earth VHS tapes when I was younger. I still remember the theme song. Also trying to scramble cash together to get a Phantom action figure.
    Yeesh, I'm feeling old.

    ReplyDelete