The 80s are definitely back...again. I feel like 80s properties are getting relaunches every 2 years. With Voltron and Thundercats getting a revamp, it will be hard to find a toy aisle or cartoon channel without seeing any 80s related properties. Now that Transformers and GI Joe doing well and the Masters of the Universe Classics action figures selling out monthly, the 80s is definitely here to stay.
Here some info from Variety:
- Voltron: Defender of the Universe will air on NICKTOONS.
- Mattel will produce a new toy line with figures and playsets.
- The toys will revolve around an edgier, modernized robot. No date set for when toys will hit shelves.
- New episodes of Voltron will be timed to the 25th anniversary.
- It's the first "Voltron" TV project in 10 years.
- WEP and Classic Media are producing ("Casper the Friendly Ghost", "Where's Waldo")
- Co-Producer Kickstart Productions ("Wolverine and the X-Men")
- Classic Media will be the international distributor for all merchandising and licensing deals.
Click here to read the details.