A destination dedicated to providing news, reviews, fan art, and comments about cartoons and horror movies from the '80s and '90s.

Friday, October 15, 2010

Horror a Day Week 2

Friday, October 8: TALES FROM THE HOOD

Tales From the Hood...I had no idea you would be this good! I sat down to watch this today(Fri, Oct 8) and was pleasantly surprised by how entertaining this anthology film was. I'm a big fan of anthology films, but this one slipped through the cracks. Luckily a Facebook friend had recommended it. Like most, this one has a few dud stories. However, two stories make up for the rest. My favourite of the four stories has got to be "Boys Do Get Bruised". The story revolves around a young boy who believes he is being abused by a monster in his house. My second favourite story, "KKK Comeuppance", is a great addition to killer doll movies. It's a story about a racist ex-KKK senator who moves into an old slave plantation. Unbeknownst to him, he's moved in with a group of dolls that are possessed by the spirits of tortured slaves. The other two stories, "Rogue Cop Revelation" and "Hard Core Convert" (which is the wrap-around story) are also worthy, but don't have the same re-watchability that the other two have. Definitely check this film out if you are a fan of anthology films.

Rating (out of 4):

Saturday, October 9: UNINVITED aka CAT ON A CRUISE SHIP

Oh my god, I have officially found a movie that can compete for best worst movie...UNINVITED...or as my friends and I like to call it: CAT ON A CRUISE SHIP! Actually, Uninvited is nowhere near the train wreck that Troll 2 is, however, it's pretty damn cheesy. Jay The Horror Section Clarke invited me over for a screening of this film on Saturday and it was a glorious experience. The movie is about a cat who escapes from a scientific experimental facility where they've been biologically tinkering with cats. Once it escapes, it goes on a rampage killing a bunch of people and then ends up on a cruise ship/yacht that is about to embark for a tropical island in the Caribbean. On board the ship, a couple of women and men are expecting a vacation out at sea, but soon realize they are on board a ship with a bunch of gangsters looking to flee the US. Thank god a mutant cat is on board to stop them. I highly recommend you track down this film, regardless of what anyone says about it. It is very entertaining. Or at the very least, track down the theatrical poster...it's what started our love for the film way back in 2009 at the Festival of Fear. Good luck trying to find it though. I can't even find an image of it online. Thank god Jay has one in his collection now.

Rating (out of 4):
(Yes...it's that good)

Sunday, October 10: SILVER BULLET

I love watching 80s horror movies I have never seen before and being pleasantly surprised by them. Silver Bullet was one of those. This was one of the few horror movies my wife remembered watching as a kid, so we decided to sit down and revisit it together. Silver Bullet isn't a masterpiece, but it is a good horror film for kids. I can definitely see why my wife and her friends enjoyed watching it so much when they were younger. The movie stars Corey Haim as Marty, who believes that a recent string of murders are being done by a werewolf who lives in his town. Marty and his sister (played by Megan Follows of Anne of Green Gables fame) search all over town to find out who the werewolf really is. Silver Bullet is good for anyone out there wanting to show their kids a "light" horror film on or around Halloween. It's also a great Stephen King film for any fans of his film/tv adaptations.

Rating (out of 4):

Monday, October 11: HOUSE

Speaking of horror movies for kids...House is not only a great movie for first-time horror movie watchers, but also horror fans alike. I still consider House to be a perfect horror movie. It has everything I could possibly want. Laughs, genuine scares and some kick ass monsters. For those of you out of the loop, the movie stars William Katt as Roger Cobb, a sad horror novelist who moves into his recently deceased Aunt's house. There, he is terrorized by monsters and ghosts as he tries to come to terms with his son's disappearance that happened at the same house a few years back. The big highlight for House is the monsters. I can count at least four monsters/creatures that would make amazing action figures. The designs are actually scary for rubber suits. House was one of the first horror films I ever saw and I seriously believe it still holds up to this day. My sister enjoyed watching House so much so that she is dying to see House II: The Second Story now. We're going to have to slot in a screening of it before Halloween month ends!

Rating (out of 4):

Tuesday, October 12: THE FRIGHTENERS

It's a real shame The Frighteners bombed at the box office when it was first released. Luckily, it didn't seem to effect Peter Jackson's career at all. The Frighteners is a near-perfect film in my world. For me, the absolute best part about the movie is watching Jeffrey Combs as FBI Agent Dammers. I know a lot of people find his character extremely annoying, but to me, he is a riot. I could fast forward right to his scenes and just watch that. Also, I have to give Jackson props for including R. Lee Ermey in the film and getting him to (sort of) reprise his role from Full Metal Jacket. If you haven't seen the film, stop reading this silly blog and go out and watch it!

Rating (out of 4):

Wednesday, October 13: AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON

Another classic! It's just one classic horror movie after the other this week. It's going to be hard to watch a crappy movie after these past three nights. There's really not much else to say about An American Werewolf in London that hasn't already been said. And I'm sure very few people left on the planet have yet to watch it. One thing I can say...I finally watched the movie on blu-ray and it looks incredible. The detail in the make-up is astounding. Watching the movie in hi-def makes me appreciate Rick Baker's make-up even more. I didn't think it could get any better.

Rating (out of 4):

Thursday, October 14: HOUSE II: THE SECOND STORY

So we managed to squeeze House II into the Halloween movie schedule a lot sooner than I thought we would. Although House II may be one of my favourite films from my childhood, I just can't bring myself to recommend it to anyone. It is so flipping weird. It's not weird like Troll 2, it just has some really strange elements to it (ie. Dog/Caterpillar half-breed creature thing). But that adds to the charm of the film. A few of the films I watched this week are perfect films for kids to watch if they are just starting to watch horror movies. House II: The Second Story fits nicely into the pile. Unlike the first House movie, House II has less scares and far more laughs. For those who haven't seen it, it has nothing to do with the first House and instead features a new light-hearted horror story. Jesse (Arye Gross) inherits his family's old house and discovers that his great-great-grandfather was a treasure hunter who owned an ancient Crystal Skull. Jesse and his friend Charlie decide to dig up Jesse's great-great-grandpa to find the skull. Not only do they find the skull, but they find Jesse's zombie-Gramps and he is ready to party. Unfortunately for Jesse, monsters, a barbarian and Aztec gods are after the skull and only him, Gramps and Charlie can protect it. House II is for acquired tastes. It has a lot of over-the-top laughs and doesn't take itself too seriously. It may be better for parents to show House II to their kids before exposing them to the first House. For all others, don't go into the film expecting a whole lot of scares. Also, be sure to look out for some great cameos: Kane Hodder, John Ratzenberger and Bill Maher!

Rating (out of 4):

Click here for Week 1 reviews.

2 comments:

  1. Three cheers for Cat on a Cruise Ship!!! That poster up top for it is pretty awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I love that poster. It's amazing that a cheesy (and some would say terrible movie...but I wouldn't) movie like UNINVITED has such incredible poster artwork.

    ReplyDelete