A destination dedicated to providing news, reviews, fan art, and comments about cartoons and horror movies from the '80s and '90s.

Friday, October 22, 2010

Horror a Day Week 3

Friday, October 15: SLEEPY HOLLOW

Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow is one hell of a kick ass movie and I sometimes forget that. I'm not sure what it is about the movie, but I find I'm never all that thrilled to watch it and then by the mid-way point I'm reminded by how fucking awesome the movie actually is. The headless horseman just screams coolness. The crone scene is also frightening and really cool too. I would consider this one of Tim Burton's best films and definitely the last one he's made that I have this much love and respect for. The atmosphere and design of the movie is perfect for Halloween time. If you still haven't decided which movie to watch around Halloween, take another look at Sleepy Hollow.

Rating (out of 4):

Saturday, October 16: DOUBLE, DOUBLE, TOIL AND TROUBLE

Ok, if you are still reading this, THANK YOU! You must be thinking I am absolutely crazy for including an Olsen Twins movie in my month-long horror movie-a-day marathon. Watching Double, Double, Toil and Trouble was truly a nostalgic decision. I remember sitting through this film a few times with my younger sister back in the early 90s. It's actually a pretty good pre-schooler kids horror movie if you can look past the stiff, robotic acting from the Olsen Twins. The Twins play the Farmer Twins, who discover their great aunt is a witch and she has locked up her twin sister in another dimension. The Farmer Twins have to battle their evil aunt Agatha to save the family and their good aunt from being trapped forever. One last thing I'd like to note about the movie is that is has some great actors in it, such as Eric McCormack (Will and Grace), Cloris Leachman (Young Frankenstein, Raising Hope [TV]), Phil Fondacaro (Troll, Ghoulies II), Meschach Taylor (The Omen 2, The Howling) and of course the Olsen Twins - Mary-Kate and Ashley.

Rating (out of 4):

Sunday, October 17: THE LAST WINTER

I've had a DVD copy of The Last Winter lying around my house for at least a year now that I bought used from some video store. I'm glad I finally took the time to watch it. It was totally worth the purchase. The addition of Connie Britton and Zach Gilford from Friday Night Lights was enough to convince my wife to watch it too. The movie stars Ron Perlman as Ed Pollack, an employee of an American Oil company looking to drill for oil in a Northern Arctic Wildlife refuge. Standing in Ed's way are a government environmentalist, strange climate changes to the Arctic and ghostly malevolent apparitions who are taking his crew out one by one. I think I stayed away from this movie for so long was because I heard the ending wasn't that great. Although the ending is pretty depressing and it has some god-awful CG, I think it all comes together pretty well. The movie has the same slow-build tension that Session 9 has, but sort of loses the audience when the CG "ghosts" show up. If Larry Fressenden had left the "ghosts" to our imagination, I think it would have been a lot more frightening. However, even with the crappy CG, I still highly recommend everyone to track down this movie. If you don't watch it now, it's a good one to watch on one of those cold winter January days.

Rating (out of 4):

Monday, October 18: BODY BAGS

This was the first time I had ever seen Body Bags. I had seen the box cover at the local mom and pop video store for years and had always wanted to see it. Especially since I knew it was directed by both Tobe Hooper and John Carpenter. The movie is made up of 3 short stories and front and back bookends with Carpenter playing a cadaver. Like other anthologies, this one has a dud story and unfortunately, it's the first one out the door. "The Gas Station" tells the story of a new gas station employee who has to work the late shift, but is stalked by an escaped serial killer. It's an ok slasher, but nothing any horror fan hasn't seen before. Keep an eye out for a Sam Raimi cameo! "Hair", the second story, is about a man who is trying to defeat his male-pattern baldness. This one has got to be my favourite story of the bunch. It's both gross and has a ridiculously funny twist ending. Finally, "Eye", the third and last story, stars Mark Hamill as a baseball player who loses his eye in a serious car accident. The doctors decide to give him a donor eye, but the eye seems to be making him do bad things to women...like kill them. Body Bags isn't a masterpiece by any means, but is a fun 90s horror anthology film.

Rating (out of 4):

Tuesday, October 19: THE WILLIES

I seem to be watching a lot of kids horror movies and a lot of anthology films this October. I had never seen The Willies before, but I wish I had seen it when I was a kid. I know I would have loved it. Although I consider The Willies an anthology film, it really only contains two stories. The movie revolves around three kids telling each other scary stories (one of the kids being Sean Astin). The first few stories the kids tell each other don't really count as they are only a few minutes in length. They include a story about a woman microwaving her dog (it's so unbelievably gross, I can't believe this movie was made for kids), a haunted house that can scare you to death and a story about a woman who eats a deep-fried rat. After they finish telling these three stories, the kids move on to the meat and potatoes of the movie. The first story is about a kid who is picked on in school and discovers a monster in his school's bathroom. I won't ruin it for you, but let's just say he doesn't warn the bullies or his teacher about the consequences of entering the bathroom. The second story is really weird. It's about an annoying mean kid who is obsessed with collecting bugs and flies and steals some super manure (yes...that's right... SUPER MANURE). He feeds the super manure to his pet flies and it has horrific results. The ending for The Willies is pretty good as it ties in the first story told. This movie has classic late-80s/early 90s kid horror movie cheese all over it.

Rating (out of 4):

Wednesday, October 20: ERNEST SCARED STUPID

Like I said before...I'm watching A LOT of kids horror movies. Ernest Scared Stupid is a must watch every Halloween, for those that know the movie and Ernest P. Worrell fans. Ernest Scared Stupid is not for everyone. Anyone who likes Trolls and/or the Troll movie should check this out too. Here's the basic gist of the movie...Ernest accidentally unleashes an ancient troll in town and it needs to turn five children into wooden statues before Halloween is over, in order to conquer the world with his troll army. Only Ernest can save the day as it was his ancestors that trapped the troll many years ago. Highly recommended for those who like trolls, silly kids movies and slapstick humour. 

Rating (out of 4):

Thursday, October 21: THE DIVIDING HOUR

The Dividing Hour has been on my "must-watch" list for years now. I remember reading about it in Fangoria way back when The Blair Witch Project came out. The movie was shot-on-video (hi8) and made with a minuscule budget of only a few thousand dollars. It's about four bank robbers who find their getaway halted when their car breaks down out on a country road. They hitch a ride and are taken to an old country farm house where a young woman and her blind father live. There, they are haunted by things out in the forest and strange things going on inside the house. The Dividing Hour doesn't really live up to all of the hype it received back in the day, but it definitely has some legs to it. The acting is quite strong and the fact that it was shot-on-video doesn't seem to hinder the story in any way. Also, the movie has a pretty kick ass ending. If you're into low-budget indie flicks, seek this puppy out. 

Rating (out of 4):

Click here for Week 1 reviews.
Click here for Week 2 reviews.

1 comment:

  1. I've never heard of the The Willies or Dividing Hour, I'll have to check those out.

    ReplyDelete