A destination dedicated to providing news, reviews, fan art, and comments about cartoons and horror movies from the '80s and '90s.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

ON LOCATION: TCM '74 House

I don't know what it is about movie locations that fascinates people so much, but there is just something that draws movie fans to them. The locations don't have any historical significance other than the fact that they were featured in a movie. For instance, I think the stairs in The Exorcist are probably some of the most popular stairs in the history of the United States. 

I'm fairly new to scouting movie locations. I first came across this past-time in Horror Hound Magazine where Sean Clark's Horror's Hallowed Grounds feature focuses on a new movie each month. Sean's articles about horror movie locations are some of the best I've ever seen. He covers pretty much every location featured in the movie. I've also come across numerous blogs and websites dedicated to this hobby. Two of my favourites are MOVIE LOCATIONS AND MORE and I AM NOT A STALKER.

Now that I am living in LA and I have become obsessed with finding different movie locations, I've decided to make this a permanent feature on the site. At least for the time that I am in LA. I will try to feature as many horror, sci-fi or popular movie locations that I can find. 

For my first movie location, I visited the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre house on my travels from Toronto to Los Angeles. Ever since I saw the movie as a young boy, I wanted to visit this location. I don't know if it was that I wanted to feel like I was a part of the movie (I don't know why, considering almost everyone is killed in it), or if there was something more to the house itself.

All photos taken December, 2010.

Screen captures from TCM DVD below each photo.

The house was built in the early 1900s and originally stood in Williamson County, but was moved to Kingsland, TX in the 1990s. It is now a restaurant called The Junction House. For those interested in visiting, the address is 1010 King Street, Kingsland. We drove from Austin, TX to the house and it took a little over an hour. 


The back of the house hasn't changed much except for an attachment at the back. If only it was there when they made the movie. Then Sally wouldn't have fallen all the way to the ground when she jumped through the window.

Unfortunately, the day we arrived, the restaurant was closed so I had to take photos through the windows. It gives me a reason to visit this location again!


I miss the old furniture.
Leatherface standing in the room where people now eat dinner that isn't made from humans.

Front Porch

After watching the movie for years, it was great to finally visit the house in person. When I first arrived at the house, all of those feelings I had the first time when I saw the movie came rushing back. For those interested in movie locations, I highly recommend you seek some of them out in your area. Taking the drive North to Kingsland was well worth it.


UP NEXT: INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE

2 comments:

  1. Holy shit, that is amazing. JEALOUS! Too bad, the restaurant was closed, I bet the chili is delectable!

    Oh, and was the swing still there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The swing is no longer there. I think someone should really recommend they put one up though. I'm guessing it was either torn down or left behind when they moved the house.

    ReplyDelete