A destination dedicated to providing news, reviews, fan art, and comments about cartoons and horror movies from the '80s and '90s.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

C-A-D: Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes 101


The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes
Episode 101
Iron Man is Born!

Since I've been wanting to watch the new Avengers cartoon for some time now, I thought one of the first remakes I would jump into would be this show. I use remake lightly because the show isn't technically a remake. It's more of a new interpretation on characters from '90s Marvel cartoons. Now to begin with, I was a little confused as to which episode would be considered the first episode of the series. It may or may not have had an impact on the way I have rated this episode and may rate upcoming episodes. My understanding is that Disney XD aired mini-episodes prior to the series officially launching on October 20th. But then once the series began, each of those 5-minute mini-episodes were spun into self contained episodes. Confused yet? I am. Anyways, the point I'm trying to make is that I've decided to begin watching the series with the 5-minute episode arcs.

Iron Man is Born! starts off with a pretty cool action sequence of Iron Man taking on some Hydra robots in what appears to be New York City. As Iron Man fights the good fight, S.H.I.E.L.D. steps in to help, but are they on Iron Man's side? The episode ends with the Grim Reaper infiltrating one of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s prisons (the Vault). After breaking out Baron Strucker and hitting the road, Nick Fury's men just barely capture them... of course in the process Nick Fury gets a bit of a makeover in the hair department.

I really felt this episode was just a mishmash of action scenes. Now, like I mentioned, this could just be a problem of being four 5-minute episodes strewn together. I think my biggest problem with this episode is that it just lacks any interesting story. Sure there is the mystery as to why Stark's technology was used in Hydra robots, but that's about it. In addition to that, we meet a whole smattering of characters and never really get to know who they are. Sure, I know who they are... I've seen the movies, read some of the comics and even have the Marvel Encyclopedia, but what about all those kids out there? I'm guessing they are approaching this series expecting that the viewers would have seen the Iron Man movie and should know his back-story and supporting cast. However, Modok makes a quick appearance, but for no reason at all. I guess it was kind of a cool cameo, but let's hope by the time he makes it into the series as a full-fledged villain he has an actually story.

If you're a fan of action, and only action, you will probably get a kick of this episode. None of the other Avengers make an appearance, but I really think that is a good thing. As it is there are too many characters in this episode. I'm hoping the series picks up after this one.

RATING: 5
YOU DECIDE

No comments:

Post a Comment